Monday, January 14, 2013

Spiritual Formation in the New Testament


            In a recent journal article James W. Thompson (who teaches at ACU) wrote an article on “Paul and Spiritual Formation” [(2010). Christian Studies. 24: 7-19.] I want to take some of the broad ideas he presented and apply them to the larger context of the New Testament.

            Why has the phrase “spiritual formation” become a fad? My first acquaintance with this terminology was in the late 1980’s. I was sort of officially introduced to this by reading Richard Foster’s book, The Celebration of Discipline. From that point forward, an entirely new world of the Christian faith opened up to me, both its history and its practice of spiritual formation.

            From July 2000 to April 2002, I attended and participated in The Academy for Spiritual Formation, Academy #14. From that 2-year formative experience my Christian life was forever changed. My breadth and exposure to the history of Christian thought and the practice of the spiritual disciplines enriched and deepened my own Christian walk far beyond what I even dreamed was possible. God  has used that experience to keep me growing in my faith.

            Thompson points out that “formation” is a unique word used by Paul. But the idea is not unique to Paul. Formation has to do with being shaped and formed spiritually into the image of Christ by the power of the Spirit. I would argue strongly that each book of the New Testament addresses the issue of spiritual formation. It may be that each writer uses unique or special terminology, but the idea is consistent throughout the New Testament.

            For example, in the first temptation Jesus responds to the devil by saying, “It is written, Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4). For Matthew, the concept of “living on words that come from God’s mouth” is the sustenance of spiritual growth and formation.

            In the gospel of Matthew God’s living words sustain us. Just as bread is eaten everyday to sustain our bodies, God’s “bread” is taken daily in order for us to grow and be formed into the image of Christ. Next week will continue this thought.

In Christian love, Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment